Our team is focused on ensuring our youth succeed at all levels of their education from high school graduation to post-secondary education in college, university and trade apprenticeships.
Completing Your Education
The Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program (OYAP) designed to assist students in their investigation and pursuit of careers in skilled trade occupations is offered by Algonquin & Lakeshore Catholic DSB and Hastings & Prince Edward DSB
The Hastings & Prince Edward DSB provides Cooperative Education; Dual Credits and South Hastings Alternative Personalised Education (SHAPE) which is an alternative education setting for students who require additional support in obtaining credits toward graduation.
The John Howard Society works with youth in the community providing many programs such as the Collective Impact Program (aimed at improving graduation rates for youth at risk of not receiving their high school diploma, and youth who have already left school without a diploma) and Quantum (provides wrap-around care for the duration of the students’ high school career).
First Nations Technical Institute (FNTI) is an Indigenous institute and in partnership with several Ontario colleges and universities, delivers culturally rich post-secondary Programs. Most courses are presented in an intensive mode that allows learners to learn while they continue to work and are delivered in communities across the country.
COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES
- Canadian Universities and Colleges (lists colleges and universities per province, applications, fees, campus tours, etc.)
- Specialist High Skills Major (lets students focus on a career path that matches their skills and interests while meeting the requirements of the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD).
- Apprenticeship Search is a website that connects employers and apprentices across Ontario.
- Start an Apprenticeship. This page on the Government of Ontario website also features links on how an apprenticeship works; explore trades; how to prepare for an apprenticeship; how to start an apprenticeship; money for apprenticeships and how to complete an apprenticeship.
- Skills Canada – Ontario promotes skilled trades and technologies in Ontario.
ADDITIONAL EDUCATIONAL LINKS
- Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada is a national charitable organization that offers numerous student grants.
- General Education Development (GED) is a Government of Ontario Website that helps you with the steps needed to get your GED.
- Ken Dryden Scholarship for youth in care
- Resolve Counselling, Kingston
- Studying Skills
FINDING A JOB (CAREER COUNSELLING/PLANNING, RÉSUMÉ HELP ETC.)
- ACFOMI Employment Services
- Career Edge
- KEYS Job Centre, Kingston
- Girls Inc
- Employment Ontario
- Ontario Works Employment Assistance
- Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program
- St. Lawrence College Employment Services
- Information and Services for Young People – links to finding and training for work as well as loans, scholarships & grants.
- Ontario Disability Support Program – Employment Supports